Media Relations & General Conference Coverage Team
October 20, 2019 @ Planning Meeting
Against a present media landscape saturated with fake news, false facts, and deep-fakes, The African Methodist Episcopal Church has a tremendous responsibility and opportunity to model integrity by reshaping our narrative based on:
Truth, Transparency and Tenacity
#GC2020Relations will focus on working with media representatives for the purpose of informing the public of our organization’s mission, policies and practices in a positive, consistent and credible manner. Working closely with The Christian Recorder’s leadership, we will coordinate directly with the journalists, reporters and story-tellers responsible for producing news coverage and social media postings related to the 51st General Conference with emphasis on three specific areas.
- Internal: Providing information to our Bishops, delegates and observers in a timely and relevant manner.
- External: Coordinating access for and contributing to mainstream media outlets in the Central Florida Region market along with international wire services such as AP, Reuters and Getty Images.
- Online: Publishing and curating content via live distribution via social media and our website.
Mr. John Thomas, III, Editor of www.thechristianrecorder.com, expects our team to “play a vital role in partnership with the General Church staff with regard to managing local media interactions through the sharing of daily press releases, promotion and access.”
- Elevate the AME Church’s profile on a day-to-day basis during the general conference by regularly pitching relevant content to our local audience, virtual viewers and interested parties who are important in the media space.
- Maintaining consistent and high quality standards in our products: print, audio, photography, video and online media
- Forge and collaborate relationships with local news assigning editors and producers with advance planning and notice updates.
- Communicate widely and loudly all GC’s news of the day via features, profiles and exciting projects.
- Build out a schedule of internal and external communications to create a steady drumbeat of conversations about GC work and connectional endeavors.
- Manage all media inquiries, engaging our Bishop’s and General Officers into the discussion when appropriate.
- Manage the scheduling of interviews and media requests with the help from the operations team as needed.
- Generate press releases and create content as appropriate.
- Staff the media filing center at the headquarters hotel.
- Work closely with the Website/Technology Team to create an effective digital work space for our Team and working media representatives.
Rev. Kenny Irby/ Chair (West Coast Conference):email@example.com
Rev. Dr. Paula Lake/ Vice Chair (West Coast Conference):firstname.lastname@example.org
Sis. Karen Richardson (East Conference):email@example.com
Rev. William Cooper, Jr. (South Conference):BCooper779@aol.com